The process by which believers are conformed to the likeness of Jesus Christ, especially in relation to obedience to and trust in God. Through the Holy Spirit, God refashions believers in the image of his Son, who is set before them as a model of the form of the redeemed life.
Believers are to become Christ like
1 Cor 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you.
Phil 2:5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,
- Paul is saying that believers must allow God to make them Christ like
- Which is our goal and the process of growing in faith
- Christlikeness is not achieved by people merely trying to imitate Jesus Christ
- But by God making believers more like his Son in sanctification, through the Spirit
- It’s an inward work that God must complete as we surrender to the Holy Spirits Control
Jn13:15 “For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.
Rom 8:29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
1Jn2:6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
The Holy Spirit makes believers Christ like
2 Cor 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
Rom 8:5-9 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against
*Scriptures & definition are from the New Spirit Filled Bible using Logos Bible Software